Its been over a month now that I have been living with a simplified closet. Everything was slimmed way down and my wardrobe is much more versatile now. When you have fewer things it kind of forces you to become more creative in your outfit choices and rethinking what you can put together. So today I chose a simple blue t-shirt and mixed it up in a variety of ways to show you just how many different looks you can get out of one item. This blue top is not necessarily a neutral color but I was really surprised how well it went with so many things... You can wear color and have a versatile closet! You don't have to have a closet full of black and gray to go with a more minimalistic lifestyle.
Here's a little breakdown:
1. Paired with a Patterned Skirt - Just because a top is a bright color doesn't mean you can't pair it with a bold pattern. The brighter blue and black come together really well and it is a little more interesting than wearing just a black top. I think any colored top would work well with a black patterned skirt!
2. Paired with Solid Neutral Bottoms - I could have left it at the blue top plus the black short but that was a little boring. Adding a lightweight cardigan, a bold statement necklace and patterned sandals gave this look the interest it needed. A gray cardigan, patterned cardigan, a denim jacket would all be great completer pieces here.
3. Paired with a Utility Vest - I'm always trying to find new ways to wear my utility vest because I love it so much. I have a tendency to get into a rut and wear it with the same gray top or striped shirt over and over. At first I was a little hesitant about putting the two pieces together, but I really liked it. Just by adding a vest to a normal t-shirt and shorts really changes thing up.
4. Paired with Patterned Pants - These pants are my new favorite thing. They are sooooo comfortable, light and fun. At first all I could wear with them was a white top - so I'm branching out, I know I need to settle down. I love the bright color together with them. If you are wanting to try patterned pants but feel like its outside of your comfort zone, start with a smaller subtle print like these. They're great, I promise.
5. Paired with Patterned Shorts - I think I have a thing for patterned bottoms, at least that is the theme of the day. This is one of those things I would have never put together before I simplified my closet. It never dawned on me how great the blue in the top brings out the blue in the shorts. Once again like the patterned pants, I would only do a white top with these shorts. Now I can think of several more options to wear.
Take away from today - Take a look in your closet and try to rethink some of the items you have, you never know what new combinations you can come up with!